‘Whilst we are all in this together, we are not all in the same boat’. This quote you hear bounded around rings true for many of us facing lockdown and the monumental effect it has had on our lives and businesses.
Whilst despair can plague your thoughts guessing which month is finally going to ease restrictions, your moral compass goes into overdrive and you are left wondering what, when, where, why… Is this the right time? Then BOOM! You’re down the rabbit hole spiralling. So easily done and stressful at the same time. You go online or switch on the TV which stokes your anxiety, and before you know it you’ve dreamt up a hypothetical situation with no way of knowing which part is fact or fiction. Before all context is lost, take a moment to see what positives you can derive from this unrivalled experience, no matter how small they are.
- Keep Focused! Exhausting energy on what you cannot control will not help your mental health, neither is it the best use of your time. It’s draining! Although, that is not to say you should not prepare for change, as in these challenging times being able to adapt is important. However, making informed decisions from the evidence provided by trusted sources is advised, as you would in all other areas of health and fitness. You got this! Think smart.
- Health is important! We know this, you know this, and now the rest of the world knows just how important it is also. Never has it been so vital to look after one’s health, the days of waiting for a miracle cure or quick fix are drifting into the abyss (well we hope so). Which means good old hard work and determination can prevail. Opening the door for personal trainers and fitness/ nutrition professionals to do what they do best, especially for those seeking help.
- Kindness! Yes, headlines and social media will showcase the most frustrating people society has to offer, but in challenging times, the kindness of strangers has been a beautiful thing. At least there are a few good eggs still knocking around to restore faith in humanity. Maybe you are one of them?
- Time is precious! Nobody appreciates change being thrust upon them when they least expect it, and not many envisioned 2020 quite like this. So if this has given you time to re-evaluate a few things that have needed your attention, then hit the reset button and work on what is viable during the quiet days.
- Starting something new! Whether you are an avid weight lifter and suddenly found your running feet, or decided that now is the time to create an online personal training platform, then take kudos in starting something new which you may not have done otherwise. All about the small wins, acknowledge them because we all have to start somewhere.
Finding positives might be a stretch too far some right now and that’s okay. But on reflection at some point, there will surely be some important lessons learned and maybe positives down the line.
Stay Healthy and safe!
Thanks for reading
PT Workspace Team